Sunday, January 6, 2013

Week of January 6, 2013: New Year's Soup!

 . . . Things here a great, in general. It's been pretty cold---it snowed a few times, and it's been cold enough for ice to stay on the sidewalks for a while, but in a nice, fun way. We had some good lessons this week, with some great people---most of them don't think much about religion, but they're really cool, great people, and they have faith to meet with us. We did have a testimony meeting yesterday---it's actually the first one I've been to in Korea. It was a little different in some ways, but also pretty similar. They don't make one of the bishopric members start off, specifically---but the Spirit was there, and that's all that really matters. We also had a ward activity for the new year. We went to a mountain early in the morning, and hiked up to see the first sunrise. It was really nice---I'll try to send some pictures later. Sorry, I keep forgetting to bring my camera. We also had some really good food---every new year, they make this soup called 떡국 (Duk-gook), and when you eat it you advance a year in age (Korean age changes every new year and your birthday). It has eggs and pieces of really chewy rice cake---it was really good.

Korean is hard, but really it's not too bad. I'm grateful for my companion and the preparation and help I've had. One thing is that it's sometimes possible to just say things without really thinking about what they really mean---but hopefully with more time that'll be better . . .  I know that our Heavenly Father loves all of the people around us, and he needs our help to help them to know that. I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment