Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Week of July 29 2013: It begins when you start



Dear Everyone,

This week was pretty interesting. I never know what to start with---but I remember Boyd K. Packer saying a few weeks ago that, "It begins when you start". I don't know when everyone else got to see that video, but I thought it was pretty interesting.
 
As for what actually happened this week, there was a lot of time spent on a primary activity that our District had on Friday. It was a camp for the primary kids, so we had to set up a bunch of activities at the church and also figure out sleeping arrangements and things like that. Early in the week the primary President in our branch called us and asked if we could come and help her set up part of it. When we got to the church, we went up to the second floor where the chapel is, and she and some other people were sitting on the ground blowing up balloons---regular ones and the kind that clowns and other professional entertainers use to make dogs, etc.---and putting them together in the shape of something that looked like a spaceship. Afterward they blew up smaller white ones and drew shapes on them to make eyes, and when they put them all together they were shaped kind of like fish. They asked us to tie fishing line to them, and tape them to the ceiling so that pairs of fish would be kissing each other. After we finished tying them, we realized we didn't have a ladder, and so we used a desk to put them up. We also had to use tape to make them stay together because the air conditioning was on the whole time. I also realized after a while that their tails weren't vertical, but horizontal, like a whale's fluke. But it was too late to do anything. After a while of doing that, we went to visit some other people. We came back later and missionaries from the other areas in our District came to help set up a "scary room" type thing in the primary classroom, which is already kind of a scary place to begin with. Apparently the church has Halloween decorations, so we used those, even though it felt a little weird. It ended up that they wanted to make it like an obstacle-course/maze, and so we bought a bunch of big black trash bags, cut them up, and taped them to the ceiling and to desks lying on their side on the ground. We spent a lot of time doing that, and the next day had to do more. But when we came back, it turned out that some of the balloons mysteriously popped, so we had to help put up more. It was the first time I remember having to set up something like that, and made me remember/think about the kinds of things people did for primary way before.
 
In the end, I didn't end up going to the activity, because one of the investigators in a nearby area, 경주, who got baptized this week had to do an interview. So I did an exchange with one of the missionaries there, Elder Meen Song-joon, who came at the same time I did to Ulsan. It was really nice---we threw a last-minute surprise birthday party for one of their English class students, talked with him and his family for a while, and then did the interview with the guy who got baptized. It was pretty interesting---he's a really cool guy. He graduated, and now he's moving to Seoul to work with firetruck repairs. It was just cool to see the great people who there are around here, and how much the gospel will bless him and other people.
 
I also kind of didn't mention it, but I actually got transferred to the nearest area from here---another part of Ulsan. It was sad to say goodbye to the members, especially since it doesn't seem like I've been here that long. But we got to eat together on Sunday, talk, and I remembered how much they and other people have helped me. I know the missionaries coming will help the investigators I told you about before, and I hope they're all happy. I know the gospel is true, and I'm so glad I get to help other people find out about it, and learn from so many great people and experiences. I love you guys, and I'm so thankful for everything. Keep it up.
 
-Elder Campbell
 

No comments:

Post a Comment